Like millions of men and women, I started resolving to exercise more and lose the weight for good. Months later, I haven’t been to the gym any more frequently than last time I resolved to lose weight and exercise. Why not? I meant well. I had the best intentions. But according to experts I failed because I didn’t have a plan.
Studies in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology found that people with action plans were more likely to perform goal-driven behavior, in my case, exercise. But you must know, This isn’t as easey as just writing down “Lose weight and exercise more.”
Its a process you must go through, really think about what you want. Using the following questions, you can create your own exercise action plan.
WHAT ARE MY GOALS?
There are five specific things you should keep in mind when writing down all of your goals.
1. Make your goals specific, and don’t say you need to say you will. For example: “I will lose 10 pounds.”
2. Make them measurable. Take a before picture. Post it on your fridge and every time you go for a midnight snack you are staring yourself in the face! Trust me, this helps.
3. Set short term and long term goals. Be sure to write those down. Write down 5 goals for each long and short term goal.
4. Set deadlines. You cannot lose 50 pounds in 50 days. Set realistic timelines so they can keep you from getting discouraged. Give yourself a week to lose 1 to 2 pounds.
5. Write down your emotional reason for staying on track. Find out what makes you tick. Is the the thought of wearing what you want, or is it feeling great and looking good? Find out and write it down.
Figure out “How often can I work out and how much time can I spend?”
If you want to stick to yor plan be realistic about the amount of time you can spend. Even if it is only 20 minutes, so be it. Make those 20 minutes count as best you can. Devote yourself to that time.
What do I have available to me?
Ask yourself if you are going to attend a gym or if you have aerobic videos collecting dust. Maybe invest in some dumdbells to use with those videos. Do whatever you have to do to be successful.
Apply these guidelines and you will be on your way to weight loss success. So get started!
Written by Jody Branch of [http://www.online-weight-loss-resources.com]. A website devoted to weight loss and fitness information.
You may use this article if you do not change it in any way and include my link. If you decide to do so, please e-mail me and let me know at email@example.com