Here are 10 ways to survive eating out and maintain a healthy lifestyle:
- Do your research: Before you head out to eat, take some time to research the restaurants in your area and check out their menus online. This will help you get a sense of what kind of options are available and make informed choices when you’re dining out.
- Start with a healthy appetizer: A light appetizer can help you feel full before your main meal arrives, which can help you avoid overeating. Choose something that is high in protein and fiber, such as a salad, soup, or vegetables.
- Order a main course that is grilled, baked, or broiled: These cooking methods are generally healthier than frying, which adds extra calories and unhealthy fats to your meal.
- Choose sides that are high in fruits and vegetables: Skip the French fries and mashed potatoes, and instead opt for a side salad, steamed vegetables, or fruit salad.
- Be mindful of portion sizes: It’s easy to overeat when you’re dining out, especially if you’re not used to restaurant-sized portions. Try to pace yourself and eat slowly, and don’t be afraid to ask for a box to go if you have leftovers.
- Limit sugary drinks: Sugary drinks are a major source of empty calories and can quickly sabotage your healthy eating goals. Instead, opt for water, unsweetened tea, or coffee.
- Avoid temptation: If you see something on the menu that you know you shouldn’t have, don’t be afraid to say no. It’s better to miss out on a temporary pleasure than to derail your long-term health goals.
- Make healthy choices even when dining out with friends: It may be tempting to indulge when you’re out with friends, but it’s still possible to make healthy choices. Suggest restaurants with healthy options, or offer to split a dessert or appetizer so you can all try something without overindulging.
- Don’t beat yourself up if you slip up: Everyone makes mistakes, and it’s okay to indulge every now and then. Just pick yourself up and get back on track the next day.
- Make eating out a special occasion: Instead of dining out every night, make it a special occasion for birthdays, anniversaries, or other celebrations. This will help you savor the experience and avoid making unhealthy choices out of habit.
By following these tips, you can enjoy dining out without sacrificing your health goals.